Dr. Daniel Sperling is recognized as a leading international expert on transportation technology assessment, and energy and environmental aspects of transportation. He is the Director of Institute of Transportation Studies and Acting Director of Energy Efficiency Center. (He is a Professor of Transportation Engineering and Environmental Policy at University of California, Davis). He exclusively talks to DubaiBeat.com before attending the World Economic Forum’s Summit on the Global Agenda here in Dubai.
Would you please tell us a bit about the background of your relationship with the World Economic Forum and your participation in the upcoming Summit on the Global Agenda?
I was honored to be chosen by the WEF to chair the “Future of Mobility” Council. Some key issues my Council will address include:
· Rapid motorization and its impact on cities:
· Oil dependency
· Impact of mobility on global climate change:
· Role of innovation and emerging technologies, especially the use of “intelligent transportation systems”
· Safety, security and equity.
· Restructuring the mobility industries (responding to financial duress in the automotive and airline industries)
· Innovative and effective policies to improve mobility while protecting the environment
· Transport infrastructure challenges (including under-investment in transport infrastructure)
· Freight transport issues within cities and between cities and countries
What specific area is your focus and how do you say it can help improve state of the world?
I am a professor of transportation engineering and environmental policy at University of California, Davis and a board member of the California Air Resources Board. My research and policy responsibilities are devoted to improving environmental quality while also improving mobility. My new book, Two Billion Cars: Driving Toward Sustainability (Oxford University Press) addresses these issues.
What do you think about the city of Dubai, the host for this summit?
I’ve never been there, but have heard many amazing things about the city, and thus look forward to the adventure with great enthusiasm.
Previous Post: A New Firm Appears in the Middle East PE Scene
Next Post: Dubai Summit on the Global Agenda – Interesting Notes (2)