Launched in 2012, Namshi is owned by Germany's Rocket Internet and a consortium of global investors. Serving 750,000 customers across the GCC countries, Namshi had $150 million of net revenue in 2016. The buyer, Emaar Malls is the owner of Dubai Mall, is listed on Dubai bourse and is majority-owned by property developer Emaar Properties.
To see listing and email addresses of investors from Dubai similar to Emaar Malls, check the Middle East Investors Directory.
More details follows:
The emerging markets’ leading fashion e-commerce platform Global Fashion Group (“GFG”) and Emaar Malls (DFM: EMAARMALLS), the shopping malls and retail business majority-owned by property developer Emaar Properties, have today agreed to form a strategic partnership to further the growth of Namshi, the leading online fashion retailer in the Middle East.
Under the partnership, Emaar Malls will acquire a 51% stake in Namshi for a consideration of USD 151 million including investment in the company for its future growth, and GFG retaining the remaining 49%. This partnership will accelerate Namshi’s development in the region and allow it to continue to flourish as the region’s pre-eminent fashion e-commerce destination.
Emaar Malls will support the company to access additional fashion brands, further develop its logistics infrastructure and expand its geographical footprint in adjacent countries. Namshi will continue to benefit from GFG’s network, expertise in fashion e-commerce and shared resources, such as global brand acquisition and global IT development and innovation.
Mohamed Alabbar, Chairman of Emaar Malls and Emaar Properties, said: “The acquisition of a majority stake in Namshi underlines our digital-driven strategy to leverage the growing e-commerce market in the Middle East and North Africa region. Namshi offers a perfect fit for Emaar Malls in accelerating its focus on multi-channel retailing, and creating long-term value for its stakeholders.”
Hosam Arab, MD of Namshi, said: “We are very excited to welcome Emaar Malls as our majority shareholder. We are confident that this partnership will unlock further opportunities and help accelerate the development of Namshi for the benefit of our customers. We would like to congratulate and thank our team for their tireless efforts in making Namshi the Middle East’s premier fashion ecommerce destination and we look forward to continuing this journey together with Emaar Malls and GFG.”
Romain Voog, CEO of GFG, said: “We are proud of how Namshi contributes to the growth and vibrancy of e-commerce in the Middle East since its inception in 2012 and I would like to congratulate the management team for their great accomplishment. With the complementary strengths of Emaar Malls and GFG, Namshi is now more than ever uniquely positioned to be the best long term partner for fashion brands and customers in the region. GFG’s partnership with Emaar Malls follows the Group’s strong performance in 2016 and is another step in our journey to create sustainable, profitable fashion e- commerce leaders in each of our regions.”
Led by co-founders Hosam Arab, Faraz Khalid and Hisham Zarka, Namshi launched in 2012, and offers a wide range of over 50,000 products across more than 600 international and local fashion brands and its own private labels. The company already serves over 750,000 customers across the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Oman and Bahrain. It provides a superior delivery experience with same day delivery in the UAE and express delivery to Saudi Arabia, supported by its own warehouse located in Dubai and network of proprietary and third party courier networks.
For the full year 2016, the company recorded net revenue of AED 555 million and achieved its first full- year of profitability and positive cashflow. Namshi’s continued investments in assortment, logistics, technology, and people have enabled it to develop a superior customer experience and strengthen its position as the leading fashion ecommerce player in the market.
As part of this transaction, both partners have agreed on developing jointly the company until a possible listing or full transfer of ownership.
Closing of the transaction is expected to take place within three months.
Previous Post: Middle East Investors Directory 2017 Released - 501 investment firms and 693 contacts listed
Next Post: Dubai investors of GII acquired stake in Canadian firm Nymi for $15 million